Phil Wright : Component Factory

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

microISV, Slow Slow ...

Slow Slow, Quick Quick Slow

Things have been moving very slowing recently.

At the moment I am still in the middle of transferring my hosting package from a Windows machine to a Unix machine. As a result my domain names are not working and so the images on the blog are still not showing. The images are in a directory on the server and referenced from the blog. Fortunately my email is not effected.

Website Design Progress

I have an initial cut of the website design. It looks great and once the hosting is sorted out I will put it online so you can see how it looks. Might be a few days before that is possible.

This might sound odd but sometimes it is really hard to pay people. The designer that came up with the design has done a good job. So on receiving the design I immediately requested how to pay him in order to reward his hard work. Three days later and another email and still no response. Sometimes it is hard to give money away!

Visual Studio Problems

Another problem I am having is with my development machine. Because it has XP Home Edition installed it means I cannot install the latest CTP builds of Visual Studio .NET 2005.

This is a pain as it means I am developing against a version that might have since changed. I don't expect many changes to have occurred but I would feel more comfortable making sure I am not writing code now that will definitely have to be replaced.

Another issue is the inability to see my controls at design time. No matter how I try to install Visual Studio .NET 2005 it seems to be screwed up, and refuses to work at design time. So I can only work on the features I can use at run time.

14 Days and counting

Luckily the end of all my problems is in sight. Two weeks from now I expect to have my new PC with XP Professional installed. I will also be able to use Virtual PC in order to install and develop against each new Visual Studio .NET 2005 release in an isolated way. With the domain hosting sorted out by then I will be back on the development fast track.

Still, in the meantime I am beavering away as best I can on the basics of the Navigator control and also a SplitContainer for the free Toolkit package.

Please bear with me as I get these issues sorted out and back to full coding and blogging speed.

3 Comments:

  • Are you changing your domain registrar? Or just your webhost? If you're just changing your webhost you should be able to switch over without any problems.

    If you're changing DNS servers the best thing to do would be to see what www.componentfactory.com is supposed to resolve too, then enter those ip's in your old DNS servers which will allow people to get to your site until the DNS system recognizes your new DNS servers.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 pm  

  • Just the hosting machine with the same hosting company. In fact the change has no completed, quicker than I expected. Check out the latest blog entry for details!

    By Blogger Phil Wright, at 7:37 pm  

  • Hey, you have a great blog here!
    I'm definitely going to be checking back on your blog.

    I have a small business web hosting site. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home