Phil Wright : Component Factory

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

microISV, Turbo Charged Coder

Go faster strips

I've decided that my 3.5year old PC no long cuts it when it comes to professional software development. It's like trying to use a mule when you need a thorough breed race horse. So I've ordered a new machine that will in itself motivate me for weeks to come. Two 19' flat panel screens, a 512MB graphics card (so I will be Vista ready and a couple of large RAID 0 hard drives. Nice!


Webhosting Disruption

As part of the plan for the website I have decided to switch from a Windows hosted site to a Unix box. It might sound like treachery when I am Windows developer but to be honest, it just makes sense.

The designer I am now working with on the site wants to use PHP scripts and a MySQL backend in order to have the blog integrated into the website. On Unix this is a doddle. Trying to do this on a Windows machine is a major headache. No, I believe in using the best tool for the job and in this case it is quicker and therefore cheaper to use Unix. Plus I can easily pick up knowledge of PHP in order to modify and maintain the site myself in the future.

As part of the this process of changing over hosting packages the people at Network Solutions screwed things up. So it will be a few days or even a week before my domain names are working again. So images on this blog will be unavailable for a while.

Oh well, back to the 1.5GHz AMD processor for a few more days...

7 Comments:

  • Phil,

    FWIW, I would never buy a .NET Component from a vendor who claims to be a .NET development company but who does not run an ASP.NET web site.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:22 am  

  • Good news Phil, the above post shows that the idiots of the world don't want to buy your product! This should save you a lot in support fees.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:31 pm  

  • If you can use any of the "turn key" portal systems on either platform, you could call it a doodle either way. I'm talking DotNetNuke or CommunityServer on ASP.NET.

    As a Windows.Forms developer, I don't think you need to maintain loyalty to the platform on the web. If you were selling ASP.NET components, then it would be a matter of eating your own dogfood, right?

    There is one area where I, as a potential consumer of your component, would prefer you to run .NET on the server. In terms of software updates and other notifications, you would score big points by letting us know you provide serious support with some kind of client utility that checks the version of the components I'm using and alerts me as to when there are changes. With Xml, of course, the client and server don't need the same platform. And there is always Mono that could be running ASP.NET on Apache at the server.

    Rather than some amorphous "brand" loyalty, I think there are some practical reasons to consider .NET at the server long after the web consultant has left the scene.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 pm  

  • Beyond all that stuff, what are the minimal specs for Vista? Anybody?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 pm  

  • Although I believe you should 'eat your own dog food' as 'Joel on Software' would say I do not think it applies in this case.

    If I wrote ASP.NET controls then you would expect me to use ASP.NET to create a website. But Windows.Forms controls are so different it is not a fair comparison. Besides, do you want to bet that Microsoft use no Unix machines in any of their divisions or subsidiaries!

    By Blogger Phil Wright, at 12:56 pm  

  • I think that Vista will need at least 64MB and maybe 128MB of graphics memory to get the full Aero experience.

    But you know what companies are like for minimum specs. You can usually at least double the minimum to get a usable system.

    By Blogger Phil Wright, at 12:58 pm  

  • Hey, you have a great blog here!
    I'm definitely going to be checking back on your blog.

    I have a web hosting directory site. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home