Phil Wright : Component Factory

Friday, August 05, 2005

microISV, Web Design #1

First Up

After almost a week we only have one design concept submitted so far on the Design Outpost website. But I did have a few others say they were interested in putting together an idea so I hope there will be others to look at soon.

Here is a reduced size version of the design...



Ok, so you cannot see much from there. Use the following link to see the full sized image.

Click Here!

Feedback

Personally I really like the design and with a couple of tweaks think it would be perfectly fine as the actual site template. But do you have other ideas? Does it look too arty and not commercial enough?

4 Comments:

  • I have to say it looks a little too much like something the guy just took off Template Monster, but I know about Template Monster so others who don't may not see it that way. Since you're going after developers they may know about it and that would turn me off a bit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 pm  

  • It does look a lot like a template. I'd try for something more corporate, but still modern. Something like this perhaps:
    http://www.acdcorporate.com/english/Company/index

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 am  

  • I think it's great that your going through the process of getting this done. There's so many software component vendors who have scruffy web sites, and that certainly doesn't encourage me to buy their software.

    The image you show looks professional, but I'd agree that it has that "template site look" about it. It's just looking a little too gimmicky, and as a software developer this puts me off a little too.

    I have certain expectations of certain sites. For example, these two seem suitable for the products they sell (off top of head examples)

    http://www.jetbrains.com/resharper/
    http://sqlmanager.net/en/products/postgresql/manager

    They're nothing amazing, but to me they just look "appropriate".

    By Blogger Tobin Harris, at 9:47 am  

  • It looks cool. But the look of that layout is a little overbearing. I think it will distract people from your product, the components.

    Personally, I'd like to see the same basic design with the following changes:

    -Get rid of the green square thing on the lower right.

    -Tone down the tabs and blue/green box thing next to the word "Products" (right below the tabs). While it looks cool, the cool slowly turns into, "16-year-old with Photoshop."

    By Blogger Michael Sica, at 12:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home