Phil Wright : Component Factory

Saturday, August 13, 2005

microISV, Web Design #2

Removing the arty bits

Feedback from readers indicating that the first design had a couple of arty farty style elements that could be removed to improve the look. I requested this from the designer along with a need to improve the header area. Here are the two designs that resulted.

Variation 1
Variation 2

Although an improvement I think both designs are not quite right and so I asked for the header to be worked on again in order to make the logo feel more integrated with the header area.

The Finale

The end result of the cycle is the following final design that I want to run with.

Variation 2

I think this creates a professional feel with a little design flair mixed in. Remember that our controls are going to be at the premium end of the market and so a good professional site is essential. But not just a standard plain site because the components biggest selling point is how great they make your applications look. So we need to show some flair and creativity in the website itself.

Next Step

At this point the design is just a high resolution picture. The next step is to turn the picture into an actual HTML template that can be used to generate pages as needed.

If you're a web programmer and feel up to the task then let me know, I am willing to pay a sensible amount for a professional to do that work.

2 Comments:

  • Hi Phil,

    Your final variation looks good! I do agree with JD about the logos (1 & 4).

    At some point you should just put the site up. You could tweak it forever, but sometimes it's more important to launch than to tweak.

    Good luck!

    By Blogger Michael Sica, at 2:44 pm  

  • Hi Phil,

    I'm really enjoying this thread of articles and watching your website evolve. Thanks for sharing the process with everyone.

    I must agree with dkjariwala as well. I actually like his design is better altogether. His is much simpler and draws the eye directly to the component screen shot as well as the demo and buy buttons. I believe I would be more likely to try and purchase from his layout. I also agree with the logo sitting on a plain background as well.

    Given that, I also think that his mockup needs a bit of work. It is a bit generic and doesn't give me a feel for your individual company "personality". But I do think it has potential.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home