Phil Wright : Component Factory

Saturday, July 09, 2005

microISV, Strapline Part Deux

Feedback

Thanks for the great feedback comments.

Do we need a strapline?

kris makes a good point by asking if a strapline is actually necessary? I assumed that just because most other companies have one that I should as well. Obviously that is not a good reason, but having thought about this more carefully I have come to the conclusion that actually it is a good idea. It's a good way to get across a simple fundamental message about the company.

When visiting a website I tend to notice the logo and associated strapline first of all. Then my eyes scan downwards to the actual content of the page, skinning over the headlines to see what the content is all about.

So in the worst case people just ignore the strapline, in which case it has caused no harm by being present. In the best case it gets across a simple message I want to convey. This is a no lose situation.

What is the message?

So I guess I need to ask myself what is the message I want to get across to the website visitor. Well I am very clear on what I would like to say. We produce a premium set of visual components that will save your business time and money.

But we need to be careful about putting ideas like saving money or time in the strapline. Just about every company is going to claim they save time and money with their product and so the message is too generic. It needs to be specific.

Looking at the suggestions and working from the ones I like, my new list of candidates comes out like this...

Component Factory
Making you look good.

Component Factory
We build components. You build solutions.

Component Factory
Passionate about your looks.

Component Factory
Creating components so you don't have to.

Component Factory
Tools that extend your potential.

My current favorite is the second one, because it indicates our position in the value chain. We create the components, the building blocks that the customers use to create a full solution.

If you have any more ideas or better variations then let me know!

9 Comments:

  • I like the 3rd one, it is witty and expressive.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:43 am  

  • I also like the second one. Those are all better than the ones I submitted.

    I might modify the second one to
    "We build componenets to build your solutions."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 am  

  • You will have made my month if you go with a variation of my suggestion! "Solution" is more active than "program".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:07 am  

  • Maybe instead of thinking of it as a strapline you should be thinking of it as a USP. Unique Selling Proposition. Think from your customer's perspective NOT your own. Currently the company that has the best one is Home Depot: You can do it, we can help. It good as its empowering me and its not specific as to what can be done but specific enough to say that they will the able to help.

    Just my 2cents

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:02 am  

  • You should check out the tagline database, which, ironically, is hosted by another component maker.

    http://www.sloppycode.net/Taglines/index.aspx

    By Blogger fawce, at 11:15 pm  

  • Might sound stupid, but that's what brainstorming is:

    "Dress up your app"
    "Where looks of the future is created today"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 am  

  • A few ideas:

    Building better interfaces
    Building your success
    Building for GUI success

    I'm not convinced by any of these but they are in there for the brainstorm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 am  

  • How about "Software vanity made simple"

    Regards Paul

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 pm  

  • The second one is really nice. Clear, to the point and very hard not to understand...

    By Blogger Jannik Anker, at 11:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home