Phil Wright : Component Factory

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

microISV, Do something easy

Do something that comes easy to you but not to others.

That is the best career advice I ever heard and I think it applies equally to a business. But it also has to be combined with the work ethic to really get the maximum benefit. This is the guiding principle used to decide on the type of software and the market to target with my microISV.

My development background is based on 8 years of C++ on Windows and then using C# and .NET since it was first released as a Beta version. During all this time I have spent more time working on user interface controls than anything else.

This has been a deliberate focus because I find working on visual components easier then working with databases, middleware or other areas. Being easier meant it was enjoyable and fun rather than feeling like a chore. I also find it easy to work hard in this area precisely because I enjoy it, which is not something I have ever been able to say about database schemas!

So after many years of spending long hours working on various custom controls and user interfaces I think I understand this area well. More importantly I believe that I can produce software as good as anything else on the market.

Therefore it is an obvious decision on what type of software to produce and the market to target. My microISV is going to produce user interface components for the Microsoft Windows platform based on C# and .NET technology.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home